Six Steps to SPRING into Shape
Spring is upon us! As warm weather has us shedding our layers, here are six steps to help you spring into shape this spring.
- Find your motivation. Any goal is easier to reach if you know why you are doing it. According to a recent article from Today.com, “Getting in shape does not always mean losing weight. Perhaps you just want to feel better about yourself, have more energy and know that you’re doing something good for your body. If you identify why you want to get fit, it will help you power through.”
- Eat fresh. No, this isn’t an ad for Subway. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables as well as healthy whole grains is a good idea any time of year, but in the spring it’s an especially great time to pick up healthy eating habits with the plentiful variety of fresh produce available in grocery stores. And because most fruits and veggies are “in season,” they tend to be a lot cheaper in the spring.
- Water for the win. Staying hydrated is a key part of getting in shape. Not only will drinking water help your body stay replenished as you take on additional physical activity, but it will also help you detox and lose weight. According to Harvard Medical School, “Drinking fluids is crucial to staying healthy and maintaining the function of every system in your body, including your heart, brain, and muscles.”
- Get plenty of ZZZZZ’s. It may seem strange, but getting a solid night’s sleep actually helps your body to be more efficient as you pursue your fitness goals. Dr. W. Christopher Winter, the president of Charlottesville Neurology and Sleep Medicine explains that during sleep, our bodies actually create a hormone that helps build lean muscle, as well as giving our bodies time to recover and repair after a workout. (Source: Everydayhealth.com)
- APP-ly yourself. There are many amazing and convenient miracles that are accessible on our smartphones, and one of them is the plethora of free fitness and weight loss apps. These easy-to-use platforms allow you to track your calorie intake, exercise goals, sleep, and even menstrual cycles! A few AbbaCare staff favorites include “Lose It!,” “C25K” (a Couch-to-5K program), and “MyFitnessPal.” As always, be sure to run any diet or exercise program by your doctor before starting.
- Find a fitness buddy. They say misery loves company, but a better way to look at it is that two are stronger than one! Find someone with similar fitness goals (and a similar schedule!!) and then get out there and be active together! Whether it’s walking, running, biking, going to the gym, or recreational sports, getting fit with a friend is a great way to stay motivated and to have the accountability of another person.
AbbaCare is a pregnancy resource center serving Winchester Virginia, Martinsburg West Virginia, and the Northern Shenandoah Valley. If you or someone you know is facing an unplanned pregnancy, is considering abortion or other pregnancy options, or is in need of post-abortive care or counseling, please let us know by calling 540.665.9660 (Winchester) or 304.726.6582 (Martinsburg) or sending us a message.
Share this post: